FAQs for Clubs

What is Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability insurance?

Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability Insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability, but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

  • Public & Products Liability - accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared Judo activities or goods sold or supplied
  • Member-to-Member liability - the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them
  • Professional Indemnity - injury following coaching/Instruction, including incidental advice
  • Libel & Slander - liability following something you might have said or written down (including deformation claims resulting from content on website forums, emails etc...)
  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability - Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement
  • Abuse - Abuse concerning children and vulnerable adults. Protection for damages awarded against the club committee (the alleged individual perpetrator does not receive any cover)
  • Legal Defence Costs - defence of criminal proceedings brought or in appeal against a conviction arising from such proceedings relating to an offence alleged to have been committed in the course of the business in respect of a breach of Health and Safety at Work Act or Part II of the Consumer Protection Act

^ back to top

What is the limit of indemnity?

In the event of a claim the limit of indemnity is the maximum the policy will pay. The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy provides the following Limits of Indemnity:

  • £20,000,000  Public Liability
  • £10,000,000  Libel & Slander / Professional Indemnity / Directors & Officers / Products Liability
  • £2,500,000  any one period of cover for Abuse
  • £250,000  Legal Defence Costs

Please note Director’s & Officers’ and Abuse claims are costs inclusive.

^ back to top

Why is a £20m Public Liability limit of indemnity required?

Howden believe that £20,000,000 is the appropriate amount of cover to provide clubs and members with peace of mind in the event that an individual is held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury. Claims involving sports injuries have already exceeded £5m in recent years, with court awards escalating annually.

^ back to top

Who/what is covered by the Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability insurance?

The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability is designed specifically to meet the needs of the British Judo Association, its clubs, licence holders and volunteers.

^ back to top

Are non-members covered for 'taster' sessions?

Individuals who may be interested in joining a club are insured for a maximum of 4 initial “taster” sessions.

For indemnity to apply it is essential that the club records their name, address and dates of attendance. These details must be retained as they may be called upon in the event of a claim.

The individual must be licensed by the British Judo Association from their 5th visit.

Failure to do so may mean that the insurance will be invalidated in the event of a claim.

^ back to top

What activities are clubs covered for?

In addition to recognised BJA activities, clubs are covered for all activities typically associated with the running of a club, including administration, club promotional events and public displays, club recruitment and social events linked to the club.

^ back to top

Should the club undertake risk assessments for social events and public displays?

All social events and public displays should be risk assessed prior to the event taking place. 

^ back to top

If I am a committee member, what protection do I get?

As a committee member you have a personal liability in respect of the management of your club, particularly if the club is unincorporated. Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability insurance provides Directors’ and Officers’ cover in order to protect you if you are sued for negligent decisions.

Examples include:

  • Mismanagement of the club finances 
  • Breach of fire safety regulations 
  • Corporate manslaughter

Cover is provided specifically to protect club officials and committee members.

^ back to top

Do we have cover if employees are injured?

Yes. Employers Liability insurance protects your club in the event that an employee is injured and claims compensation against the club.

In general, you may need employers' liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following apply:

  • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply most materials and equipment
  • You have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses 
  • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them 
  • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work
  • They are treated in the same way as other employees, for example if they do the same work under the same conditions as someone you employ

Under British Law, you can still be called an “employee” even if you are not paid. 

^ back to top

How is Employers' Liability different to Public Liability?

Employers' Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable. i.e. when the employee sues the employer. Employers' Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.

Public Liability protects a club / member / volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.

^ back to top

Is our club covered if we go abroad?

Liability cover is provided for trips abroad that are authorised/recognised by BJA.

Please note this is NOT a Travel Insurance policy, cover for which can be obtained from Sport Travel Insurance.

^ back to top

Does the policy provide cover for medical expenses abroad?

No, it is essential that you take out travel insurance for all members of your party travelling abroad. To obtain a quotation for travel insurance that will include cover whilst you are competing, please click Sport Travel Insurance.

^ back to top

Does the policy cover non UK residents?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for their Liabilities in terms of recognised activities in both the UK and overseas, provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised/authorised by BJA.

Any member permanently living abroad is not covered.

^ back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts (Please note if you act/operate outside of the BJA rules or intentionally cause injury to another you will not be protected by the insurance)
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse / alleged to be the abuser. Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor, marine 
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers) 
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control 
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing BJA on a official trip 
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages 
  • Medical negligence

Please refer to the policy wording for a full list of the exclusions.

^ back to top

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit.

^ back to top

What is meant by 'claims made'?

The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy is written on what is known as a “claims made” basis. This means that the policy provides cover for those claims reported during the period of insurance, rather than the policy that was in force at the time of the incident.

^ back to top

Does my cover include any legal expenses?

Yes but only for the defence of civil actions.

^ back to top

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no excesses.

^ back to top

What do I do if our club becomes aware of an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as defined in the Incident Recording Guidelines.

If there are verbal or written allegations made against your club, you should click here and complete the online form to notify Howden of the incident.

We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity.

Please note that this is a Liability Policy where Insurers decide if negligence attaches to you. Therefore any payments you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed.

^ back to top

Does my club have to register it assets with the BJA to benefit from the free asset cover?

Previously this was the case but with effect from 01 January 2017 the BJA insurance provides all risks cover, anywhere in the UK, up to a limit of £5,500 where a Club is either the owner of, or legally responsible for, Judo Mats, Scoring Equipment and/or Trophies. There is no longer a need to register your club in order to benefit from this cover, it is provided automatically. 

An excess of £250 applies to each claim

The main exclusions are:

  • Theft whilst left unattended in a vehicle
  • Theft unless by forcible or violent entry &/or exit to or from the premises
  • Breakage whilst in use
  • Theft of trophies by the holder and/or failure to return trophies.

^ back to top

My club has more than £5,500 of assets, can the sum insured be increased to cover the extra?

Yes, additional cover or further details can be provided by contacting Howden

^ back to top