FAQs for Coaches, Referees & Officials

What is Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability insurance?

Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability Insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability, but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

  • Public & Products Liability - accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared Judo activities or goods sold or supplied
  • Member-to-Member liability - the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them
  • Professional Indemnity - injury following coaching/Instruction, including incidental advice
  • Libel & Slander - liability following something you might have said or written down (including deformation claims resulting from content on website forums, emails etc...)
  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability - Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement.

Please note this cover does not replace the need for Travel insurance.

^ back to top

What is the limit of indemnity?

In the event of a claim the limit of indemnity is the maximum the policy will pay. The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy provides the following Limits of Indemnity:

  • £20,000,000 Public Liability 
  • £10,000,000 Libel & Slander / Professional Indemnity / Directors & Officers / Products Liability
  • £2,500,000 any one period of cover for Abuse
  • £250,000 Legal Defence Costs

Please note Director’s & Officers’ and Abuse claims are costs inclusive. 

^ back to top

Why is a £20m Public Liability limit of indemnity required?

Howden believe that £20,000,000 is the appropriate amount of cover to provide clubs and members with peace of mind in the event that an individual is held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury. Claims involving sports injuries have already exceeded £5m in recent years, with court awards escalating annually.

^ back to top

Who/What is covered by the Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability insurance?

The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability is designed specifically to meet the needs of the British Judo Association, its clubs, coaches, referees, officials, licence holders and volunteers.

^ back to top

Are non-members covered by the policy for "taster" sessions?

Individuals who may be interested in joining a club are insured for a maximum of 4 initial “taster” sessions.

For indemnity to apply it is essential that the club records their name, address and dates of attendance. These details must be retained as they may be called upon in the event of a claim.

The individual must be licensed by the British Judo Association from their 5th visit.

Failure to do so may mean that the insurance will be invalidated in the event of a claim.

^ back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts (Please note if you act/operate outside of the BJA rules or intentionally cause injury to another you will not be protected by the insurance)
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse / alleged to be the abuser. Claims arising from loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor, marine 
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers) 
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control 
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing BJA on a official trip 
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages 
  • Medical negligence.

Please refer to the policy wording for a full list of the exclusions.

^ back to top

What is the age limit?

There is no age limit.

^ back to top

What is meant by 'claims made'?

The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy is written on what is known as a 'claims made' basis. This means that the policy provides cover for those claims reported during the period of insurance, rather than the policy that was in force at the time of the incident.

^ back to top

Does the cover include any legal expenses?

Yes but only for the defence of civil actions.

^ back to top

Are there any policy excesses?

There are no policy excesses under the Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy.

^ back to top

Does the policy cover non UK residents?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. Such members are covered for their Liabilities in terms of recognised activities in both the UK and overseas, provided that any overseas trip is officially recognised/authorised by BJA.

Any member permanently living abroad is not covered.

Please note this is not a Travel Insurance policy, cover for which can be obtained from Sport Travel Insurance.

^ back to top

Would I be covered for all incidents?

Yes, provided that:

  • The incident occurred during a recognised and authorised activity of the BJA, which broadly includes but is not limited to, training, grading, competitions, Judo Fit, Gymnastics for Judo, Judo for self defence, club social events (as authorised by the BJA), club administration
  • You reported the incident immediately
  • There is negligence on your part.

^ back to top

What do I do if I become aware of, or am involved in, an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as defined in the Incident Recording Guidelines.

If there are verbal or written allegations made against you, you should Click here and complete the online form to notify Howden of the incident.

We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity. 

Please note that this is a Liability Policy where Insurers decide if negligence attaches to you. Therefore any payments you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed.

^ back to top

If I am injured, can I claim from the policy?

No if you are injured you should seek legal advice on how to pursue a claim against the person(s) responsible for causing the injury. However, you may be eligible to claim for your injuries under the BJA Personal Accident Policy.

^ back to top