FAQs for Registered Approved Providers

What is Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability

Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability Insurance provides for legal liability following negligence, nuisance or trespass. Unlike other liability insurances, it not only covers Public Liability, but also includes cover for the following, which are excluded from other providers standard covers:

  • Public & Products Liability - accidental bodily injury to third parties and / or damage to third party property arising out of declared Judo activities or goods sold or supplied
  • Member-to-Member liability - the policy will protect one insured member if another member is injured and claims against them
  • Professional Indemnity - injury following coaching/Instruction, including incidental advice
  • Libel & Slander - liability following something you might have said or written down (including deformation claims resulting from content on website forums, emails etc...)
  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability - Protection for club committee members in respect of their personal liability for claims resulting from mismanagement
  • Abuse - Abuse concerning children and vulnerable adults. Protection for damages awarded against the club committee (the alleged individual perpetrator does not receive any cover)
  • Legal Defence Costs - defence of criminal proceedings brought or in appeal against a conviction arising from such proceedings relating to an offence alleged to have been committed in the course of the business in respect of a breach of Health and Safety at Work Act or Part II of the Consumer Protection Act

^ back to top

What is the Limit of Indemnity?

In the event of a claim the Limit of Indemnity is the maximum the policy will pay. The Private Operators Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy provides the following Limits of Indemnity:

  • £20,000,000 Public Liability 
  • £10,000,000 Libel & Slander / Professional Indemnity / Directors & Officers / Products Liability
  • £2,500,000 any one period of cover for Abuse
  • £250,000 Legal Defence Costs

Optional Cover for Limited Companies

  • £10,000,000 - Any one period of cover for Directos and Officers

Please note Director’s & Officers’ and Abuse claims are costs inclusive.

^ back to top

Why is a £10m Public Liability limit of indemnity required?

Howden believe that £10,000,000, in regards to Public Liability, is the appropriate amount of cover to provide Registered Approved Providers with peace of mind in the event that an individual is held responsible for causing a catastrophic injury. Claims involving sports injuries have already exceeded £5m in recent years, with court awards escalating annually.

^ back to top

What activities are Private Operators covered for?

In addition to recognised BJA activities, Private Operators are covered for all activities typically associated with the running of classes, including administration.

^ back to top

As a Company Director what cover can I get?

As a Company Director you have a personal liability in respect of the management of your company. Directors’ and Officers’ cover can be provided in order to protect you if you are sued for negligent decisions.

Examples include:

  • Mismanagement of the club finances
  • Breach of fire safety regulations
  • Corporate manslaughter

^ back to top

Do I require Employers Liability insurance?

Employers Liability insurance is a separate insurance required in the event that an employee is injured and claims compensation against the club.

In general, you may need Employers' Liability insurance for someone who works for you if any of the following apply:

  • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply most materials and equipment
  • You have a right to any profit your workers make although you may choose to share this with them through commission, performance pay or shares in the company. Similarly, you will be responsible for any losses
  • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them
  • You require that person only to deliver the service and they cannot employ a substitute if they are unable to do the work
  • They are treated in the same way as other employees, for example if they do thesame work under the same conditions as someone you employ

Under British Law, you can still be classed as an “employee” even if you are not paid. Our advice would always to take out Employers' Liability insurance.

^ back to top

How is Employers Liability different to Public Liability?

Employers' Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable. i.e. when the employee sues the employer. Employers' Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.

Public Liability protects a club / member / volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.

^ back to top

Does the policy cover non UK residents?

Insurance cover is only available to members who have a permanent UK address. 

^ back to top

What significant exclusions or limitations apply?

  • Deliberate, dishonest or foreseeable acts
  • Abuse - the person accused of abuse / alleged to be the abuser. Claims arising from a loss that happened prior to the retroactive date stated in the schedule, which would be the date that your continuous membership first commenced
  • Incidents / claims known to you but not reported to the insurers immediately
  • Risks that require more specific insurance, i.e. motor, marine
  • Injury to any person employed (including volunteers)
  • Loss of, or damage to, property in your custody or control
  • Any legal action brought against the insured in a court of law within the United States of America or Canada, unless you are in USA or Canada representing the BJA on a official trip
  • Fines, penalties or punitive damages
  • Medical negligence

Please refer to the policy wording for a full list of the exclusions.

^ back to top

What is the age limit?

The age limits for class participants are 5 to 19 years of age.  

^ back to top

Does the Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy have an excess?

There are no excesses on the Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy.

^ back to top

What does "claims made" mean?

The Sport, Recreation and Leisure Liability policy is written on what is known as a “claims made” basis. This means that the policy provides cover for those claims reported during the period of insurance, rather than the policy that was in force at the time of the incident.

^ back to top

What should I do in the event of an incident?

You should immediately record all relevant information as defined in the Incident Recording Guidelines.

If there are verbal or written allegations made against you, you should click here and complete the online form to notify Howden of the incident.

We would remind you that in NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and could result in the withdrawal of any indemnity. 

Please note that this is a Liability Policy where Insurers decide if negligence attaches to you. Therefore any payments you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed.

^ back to top